personal debit cards
fast. convenient. safe.
Debit cards are easier to use than checks, safer than cash and free of interest rate charges. They provide a host of benefits:
- Fast and convenient in-person and online transactions
- Protection from fraud and lost or stolen cards
- No need to show I.D. as with checks
Norway Savings Bank issues debit cards with an embedded computer chip, a small, metallic square on the front of the debit card. The computer chip assigns a one-time code making every transaction unique and the card more difficult to counterfeit or copy. The cards have a magnetic stripe in the event the merchant doesn’t have a chip reader.
As of the beginning of 2022, all new personal, business, health savings and GO>2 cards will be issued with contactless capabilities. When you make purchases from merchants with contactless-enabled terminals, you’ll be able to hover or tap your card instead of inserting it. All cards will continue to be equipped with the computer chip and magnetic stripe for easy and secure transactions no matter where you shop.
Note the contactless card icon on the front of the card:
debit transactions with choice
Your debit card can be used with either a PIN (Personal Identification Number) or signature. Both are popular, convenient, and versatile forms of payment. Please note that when using your PIN, your money will come out of your account immediately. When you use your signature, the transaction may take a day or two to clear, just like a check.
Also note that some merchants and online purchases don’t require a PIN or signature.
surcharge-free access to cash
Use your Norway Savings Bank ATM/Debit Card surcharge-free at all Norway branch locations. Click here to find a location near you.
other tips for reducing ATM fees
- If you like to use your debit card, you’ll appreciate the many benefits of our GO>2 Checkless Checking Account including waived ATM fees and earning $.15 for every qualified purchase you make with your debit card!
- Consider using the cash-back feature with a debit purchase. Many grocery stores and gas stations offer this at no charge.
- If you frequently use another bank’s ATM, consider taking out more money each time so you have fewer withdrawals and thus fewer ATM access fees.
for debit cards
- Memorize your PIN. Never store it with your card.
- Keep your receipts; you’ll need them to check your statement. If your account number is on them, tear up or shred receipts before throwing them away.
- Check your bank transactions online daily. Check your statements as soon as you receive them. Make sure all payments are yours.
- Contact Norway Savings Bank immediately if your card is lost, stolen, or fraudulently used. If you are a victim of debit card fraud – review “Security Matters“.
- We are always monitoring your debit card transactions for possible fraudulent activity. If we detect such activity, we will either text* or call you. If you don’t respond to the text or answer the call, we will send you a letter in the mail. To watch a video about how we use texts to notify you of suspicious debit card activity, please click here.
- Keep your PIN number a secret. Never write it down or share it with anyone – not even family members.
- Be aware of your surroundings, particularly at night. Make sure the ATM is free of sight obstructions. If you observe suspicious persons or circumstances, do not use the machine.
- Have your ATM card ready and in your hand as you approach the ATM.
- Use your hand to “shield” the ATM keyboard as you enter your PIN.
- Check the ATM for skimming devices.
- Always take your receipts or transaction records with you.
- Do not count or visually display any money you received from the ATM.
- Immediately put your money into your pocket or purse and count it later.
- If you are using a drive-up ATM, be sure passenger windows are rolled up and all doors are locked. If you leave your car and walk to the ATM, lock your car.
you have options
Debit cards and ATMs are two of the many options available to you to access your money. You also have 24/7 access to your money via online and mobile banking. Or if you prefer in-person interaction (particularly for complex transactions), you may visit our 24 convenient locations. You also have the option to bank via Telephone Banking. Our Customer Care Center is also available Monday-Friday 8am-6pm and Saturdays 8am-noon at 888-725-2207.
*You will not incur text messaging charges. If you don’t know if you have a text-enabled phone number on file and would like to receive text messages in the event we detect a potential fraudulent transaction on your phone, please call our Customer Care Team at 888-725-2207