personal debit cards
fast. convenient. safe.
Debit cards are easier to use than checks, safer than cash and free of interest rate charges. They provide a host of benefits:
- Protection from fraud
- Protection from lost or stolen cards
- Fast and convenient transactions
- No need to show I.D. as with checks
Norway Savings Bank is now issuing debit cards with an embedded computer chip, a small, metallic square on the front of the debit card. The computer chip assigns a one-time code making every transaction unique and the card more difficult to counterfeit or copy. If a merchant doesn’t have a chip reader, the new cards will still have a magnetic stripe.
debit transactions with choice
Your debit card can be used with either a PIN (Personal Identification Number) or signature. Both are popular, convenient, and versatile forms of payment. Please note that when using your PIN, your money will come out of your account immediately. When you use your signature, the transaction may take a day or two to clear, just like a check.
surcharge-free access to cash
Use your Norway Savings Bank ATM/Debit Card surcharge-free at all Norway branch locations and at Maine Cash Access ATMs across Maine. Click here to print a complete list of participating community banks and Maine Cash Access ATM locations or visit Maine Cash Access to search for a location near you.
other tips for reducing ATM fees
- If you like to use your debit card, you’ll appreciate the many benefits of our Full Solutions Checking Account – check it out!
- Consider using the cash-back feature with a debit purchase. Many grocery stores and gas stations offer this at no charge.
- If you frequently use another bank’s ATM, consider taking out more money each time so you have fewer withdrawals and thus fewer ATM access fees.
for debit cards
- Memorize your PIN. Never store it with your card.
- Keep your receipts; you’ll need them to check your statement. If your account number is on them, tear up or shred receipts before throwing them away.
- Check your bank transactions online daily. Check your statements as soon as you receive them if you don’t bank online. Make sure all payments are yours.
- Contact your Norway Savings Bank immediately if your card is lost, stolen, or fraudulently used. If you are a victim of debit card fraud – review “Security Matters”.
- Keep your PIN number a secret. Never write it down or share it with anyone – not even family members.
- Be aware of your surroundings, particularly at night. Make sure the ATM is free of sight obstructions. If you observe suspicious persons or circumstances, do not use the machine.
- Have your ATM card ready and in your hand as you approach the ATM.
- Use your hand to “shield” the ATM keyboard as you enter your PIN.
- Always take your receipts or transaction records with you.
- Do not count or visually display any money you received from the ATM.
- Immediately put your money into your pocket or purse and count it later.
- If you are using a drive-up ATM, be sure passenger windows are rolled up and all doors are locked. If you leave your car and walk to the ATM, lock your car.
you have options
Debit cards and ATMs are only one of the many options available to you to access your money. You also have 24/7 access to your money via online and mobile banking. Or if you prefer in-person interaction (particularly for complex transactions), you may visit our 24 convenient locations. You also have the option to bank via Telephone Banking.