Norway, ME – Every year, millions of consumers fall victim to cybercrime. According to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center consumers lost more than $1 billion from scams initiated through the web in 2015. In recognition of Safer Internet Day on Feb. 6, Norway Savings Bank is highlighting seven tips to help consumers guard against online threats and maintain a safe and secure web environment.
“Criminals have become more and more sophisticated with their hacking techniques,” said Pat Weigel, President and CEO, Norway Savings Bank. “As a result, it’s extremely important for consumers to secure their wireless networks and set strong network passwords using a combination of letters, numbers and special characters to actively guard against online threats.”
Norway Savings Bank recommends the following tips to keep you safe online:
- Keep your computers and mobile devices up to date. Having the latest security software, web browser, and operating system are the best defenses against viruses, malware, and other online threats. Turn on automatic updates so you receive the newest fixes as they become available.
- Set strong passwords. A strong password is at least eight characters in length and includes a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Watch out for phishing scams. Phishing scams use fraudulent emails and websites to trick users into disclosing private account or login information. Do not click on links or open any attachments or pop-up screens from sources you are not familiar with. Forward phishing emails to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at email@example.com – and to the company, bank, or organization impersonated in the email.
- Keep personal information personal. Hackers can use social media profiles to figure out your passwords and answer those security questions in the password reset tools. Lock down your privacy settings and avoid posting things like birthdays, addresses, mother’s maiden name, etc. Be wary of requests to connect from people you do not know.
- Secure your internet connection. Always protect your home wireless network with a password. When connecting to public Wi-Fi networks, be cautious about what information you are sending over it.
- Shop safely. Before shopping online, make sure the website uses secure technology. When you are at the checkout screen, verify that the web address begins with https. Also, check to see if a tiny locked padlock symbol appears on the page.
About Norway Savings Bank
Founded in 1866, Norway Savings Bank is a leading mutual banking and financial services company headquartered in Norway, Maine. As of December 31, 2017, Norway Savings Bank had $1.134 billion in total assets and provides financial services to over 38,000 households throughout western and southern Maine. Norway Savings Bank has 24 branch locations and operates divisions in asset management, personal banking and business banking. In 2016, Norway Savings Bank was honored as one of the Best Banks to Work For by American Banker and Best Companies Group as well as one of the Best Places to Work in Maine. In 2013, Norway Savings Bank received the Governor’s Award for Business Excellence and has been recognized as one of the healthiest companies in America by the Wellness Council of America (WELCOA) as a two-time Gold-Level Well Workplace award recipient. BauerFinancial has designated 5-Star Norway Savings Bank the “Best of Bauer” for earning and maintaining its highest 5-star rating for 25 continuous years or longer. For more information, visit www.norwaysavings.bank.